Robert has represented hundreds of Missourians on divorce and other family law related matters. Bob is a Certified Family Law Mediator. Bob has handled appeals in many family law related cases.
Some of Robert’s cases have resulted in landmark appellate decisions.
- Mistler v. Mistler, for example, totally changed Missouri law affecting division of personal injury settlements in divorce cases.
- Whisman v. Rhinehart was one of the earliest Federal appellate cases involving juvenile officer and social worker misconduct, impacting parents’, children’s and grandparents’ rights to due process of law.
- In State ex rel. Hilburn v. Staeden, the Missouri Supreme Court reversed Greene County Circuit Judge Don Burrell (now an appellate judge) who ruled at Robert’s request that administrative child support modifications of Judge -entered child support orders were unconstitutional infringements on judicial powers. Asked for his reaction by Missouri Lawyer’s Weekly, Robert said, “John Marshall is rolling over in his grave!”
Robert’s family law practice includes the following:
- Divorce (dissolution of marriage)
- Child custody
- Minor and adult guardianships (Robert once tried an elderly guardianship case to a jury)
- Habeas corpus (retrieving children and freeing the elderly from nursing homes)
- Child support
- Maintenance (alimony)
- Modification of child custody, child support and maintenance
- Contempt proceedings
- Adult abuse proceedings (orders of protection)
- Juvenile court matters
- Child support administrative hearings
- Bankruptcy related domestic relations issues
- Interstate child custody matters
Robert has extensive appellate experience in family law related matters. Click on the case names above to read the opinion in cases that Robert handled on appeal.